Nurses with Disabilities
To some, it's a disability.
To a nurse, it's a unique perspective.
From using sign language to sharing a rehabilitation experience, these nurses can connect with patients in a powerful way. There’s a job or specialty for every nurse’s unique abilities and skills. Learn more about these opportunities below.
Organizations & Websites
Here's some valuable information for nurses with disabilities.
Here are some resources to help you in your career.
Articles & Books
Here's some related reading.
- "Leave No Nurse Behind: Nurses Working with disAbilities" by Donna Maheady
- "Nursing Students with Disabilities Change the Course" by Donna Maheady
- Read about how these nurses defy have overcome legal, social and mental hurdles to flourish in their careers
- Read about the challenges facing nurses with disabilities, and how real people have overcome them
- Read about the impact of Hurricaine Katrina on nurses with disabilities
See all nurse profiles >