The Johnson & Johnson Campaign for Nursing’s Future is pleased to announce the 2013 Amazing Nurse – congratulations to Gloria Kindzeka, RN! Kindzeka, who specializes in pediatric home care nursing, was selected by the public for the incredible care she provides to Kate, a child with a rare condition called Pfeiffer Syndrome. Pfeiffer Syndrome causes the skull bones to fuse prematurely, limiting brain growth. Because of this, Kate has had close to 50 medical procedures to protect her brain and development.
Kindzeka has cared for Kate since she was an infant, helping her with daily living activities such as dental care, medication, respiratory treatments, personal hygiene and therapeutic play. She attends school with Kate, goes to medical appointments, and involves her in community activities and events. Kindzeka has truly gone above and beyond her call of duty as a nurse to provide love and care for Kate. Learn more about Kate’s story in Gloria's current video profile, and check back next month to get to know Gloria even better in her new video profile!
Amazing Nurses 2013 provided an opportunity for the public, patients and the healthcare community to nominate nurses who continually demonstrate their commitment to the profession. After narrowing down more than 1,300 nominations to 10 Finalists, the public was invited to vote for their favorite nominee located on the Nursing Notes by Johnson & Johnson Facebook page and at www.amazingnurses.com. More than 22,000 votes were received.
Amazing Nurses 2013 Finalists:
- Martha Bredestege, RN, Hospice of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Lucy Pearl DiDominic, RN, private duty homecare, West Haven, Conn.
- Angela Krach, RN, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
- Kevin Mollenhauer, RN, Sycamore Medical Center, Dayton, Ohio
- Marcia Sampson, RN, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base; Wayne Memorial Hospital, Goldsboro, N.C.
- Mary Pat Serrano, RN, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Ill.
- Alejandro Soto, RN, Memorial Medical Center – Intensive Care Unit, Modesto, Calif.
- Kathy Wilfong, LPN, ResCare Northeast Agency, Weston, W.Va.
- Genevieve Yhap-Zebro, RN, Sacred Heart School, South Amboy, N.J.
Congratulations to all of the Finalists, and thank you to everyone who took the time to celebrate Amazing Nurses and the extraordinary compassion, care and skill they provide to their patients every day. To learn more about Amazing Nurses 2013, visit the Nursing Notes by Johnson & Johnson Facebook page or www.amazingnurses.com.